Who is serving the Office of Chief Justice Of India (CJI) currently? NV Ramana has been appointed as the new Chief Justice of India on 6th April 2021.Sharad Arvind Bobde who took the office of Chief Justice of India on 18 November 2019 is going to retire on 23rd April 2021, the day NV Ramana will take oath as India’s 48th CJI.
This article gives the list of Chief justice of India and their tenure. Knowing about the Chief justice of India is imperative for candidates preparing for various Government exams as questions based on CJI is asked under the Static GK part of the General Awareness Section. To know more about the government exams, refer to the linked article.
About 48th Chief Justice of India:
- NV Ramana has practised in the High Court of Andhra Pradesh, Central and Andhra Pradesh Administrative Tribunals and the Supreme Court of India in Civil, Criminal, Constitutional, Labour, Service and Election matters.
- He has also functioned as Additional Advocate General of Andhra Pradesh.
- He was elevated as Chief Justice of Delhi High Court in September 2013 and later in February 2014 he was elevated as Supreme Court Judge.
Significance of the CJI Office:
Chief Justice of India is the head of the judiciary system in India. The chief justice is the head of the Supreme Court and is responsible for the allocation of cases and appointment of constitutional benches which deal with important matters of law.
Article 145 of the Constitution gives the right to the Chief Justice of India to allocate the respective matters of relevance to the bench of judges.
Candidates aspiring to appear for the various examination must be thorough with the List of Chief Justice Of India and can also download the PDF for convenient preparation.
Preparing for Government Exam? To gain an edge over the competition, compliment your preparation with –
List of Chief Justices of India
There have been 48 Chief justices in India to date. H J Kania served as the First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India. The list of Chief Justice of India is given below:
Chief Justice of India – List Tenure
|H.J Kania||26 January 1950 – 6 November 1951|
|M. Patanjali Sastri||7 November 1951 – 3 January 1954|
|Mehr Chand Mahajan||4 January 1954 – 22 December 1954|
|Bijan Kumar Mukherjea||23 December 1954 – 31 January 1956|
|Sudhi Ranjan Das||1 February 1956 – 30 September 1959|
|Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha||1 October 1959 – 31 January 1964|
|P. B. Gajendragadkar||1 February 1964 – 15 March 1966|
|Amal Kumar Sarkar||16 March 1966 – 29 June 1966|
|Koka Subba Rao||30 June 1966 – 11 April 1967|
|Kailas Nath Wanchoo||12 April 1967 – 24 February 1968|
|Mohammad Hidayatullah||25 February 1968 – 16 December 1970|
|Jayantilal Chhotalal Shah||17 December 1970 – 21 January 1971|
|Sarv Mittra Sikri||22 January 1971 – 25 April 1973|
|A. N. Ray||26 April 1973 – 27 January 1977|
|Mirza Hameedullah Beg||29 January 1977 – 21 February 1978|
|Y. V. Chandrachud||22 February 1978 – 11 July 1985|
|P. N. Bhagwati||12 July 1985 – 20 December 1986|
|Raghunandan Swarup Pathak||21 December 1986 – 18 June 1989|
|Engalaguppe Seetharamaiah Venkataramiah||19 June 1989 – 17 December 1989|
|Sabyasachi Mukharji||18 December 1989 – 25 September 1990|
|Ranganath Misra||26 September 1990 – 24 November 1991|
|Kamal Narain Singh||25 November 1991 – 12 December 1991|
|Madhukar Hiralal Kania||13 December 1991 – 17 November 1992|
|Lalit Mohan Sharma||18 November 1992 – 11 February 1993|
|M. N. Venkatachaliah||12 February 1993 – 24 October 1994|
|Aziz Mushabber Ahmadi||25 October 1994 – 24 March 1997|
|J. S. Verma||25 March 1997 – 17 January 1998|
|Madan Mohan Punchhi||18 January 1998 – 9 October 1998|
|Adarsh Sein Anand||10 October 1998 – 31 October 2001|
|Sam Piroj Bharucha||1 November 2001 – 5 May 2002|
|Bhupinder Nath Kirpal||6 May 2002 – 7 November 2002|
|Gopal Ballav Pattanaik||8 November 2002 – 18 December 2002|
|V. N. Khare||19 December 2002 – 1 May 2004|
|S. Rajendra Babu||2 May 2004 – 31 May 2004|
|Ramesh Chandra Lahoti||1 June 2004 – 31 October 2005|
|Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal||1 November 2005 – 13 January 2007|
|K. G. Balakrishnan||14 January 2007 – 12 May 2010|
|S. H. Kapadia||12 May 2010 – 28 September 2012|
|Altamas Kabir||29 September 2012 – 18 July 2013|
|P. Sathasivam||19 July 2013 – 26 April 2014|
|Rajendra Mal Lodha||27 April 2014 – 27 September 2014|
|H. L. Dattu||28 September 2014 – 2 December 2015|
|T. S. Thakur||3 December 2015 – 3 January 2017|
|Jagdish Singh Khehar||4 January 2017 – 27 August 2017|
|Dipak Misra||28 August 2017 – 2 October 2018|
|Ranjan Gogoi||3 October 2018 – 17 November 2019|
|Sharad Arvind Bobde||18 November 2019 – 23 April 2021|
CJI – Important Pointer
- The President of India appoints the Chief Justice of India and the CJI can hold the office up to the age of 65 years. Also, CJI can be removed only through a process of impeachment by Parliament.
- The Chief Justice of India submits his resignation to the President of India. The President of India administers the oath to the Chief Justice of India.
- The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court receives a salary of Rs.280,000 per month plus other allowances fixed for CJI. Article 125 of the constitution is related to the Salary of CJI of Supreme Court.
- The first Chief Justice of India (Before independence) was Mr Sir Maurice Gwyer. He took charge on 1 October 1937 and remained in office till 25 April 1943. Mr M Gwyer was the CJI in the pre-independence era. Justice Harilal Jekisundas Kania was the first (Indian) Chief Justice of India.
- Kamal Narain Singh was the shortest-serving Chief Justice Of India, he held the Supreme Court Office as CJI just for 17 days from 21st November 1991 to 12th December 1991.
- Justice Y. V. Chandrachud is the longest-serving Chief Justice in India, who served 2696 days.
- The current CJI, Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde is the 47th Chief Justice of India.
- Fatimah Beevi was the first woman judge, as well as the first woman Supreme Court Judge of India. She was from Kerala and held the office of Supre Court of India from 6 October 1989 to 29 April 1992.
- At present (April 2021), there are 29 SC judges of India including the Chief Justice of India. (Total sanctioned strength is 34 including CJI).
Check the Appointment and Removal of Supreme Court Judges in the link provided.
Now that you are aware of the personalities who held the office of CJI from 1950 to 2021 you can download the list of Chief Justice of India PDF for revision and reference.
List of Chief Justice of India PDF:-Download PDF Here
Aspirants can refer to the following links on important topics of the General Awareness Section for assistance in preparation:
|List of RBI Governors of India||List of High Courts in India||List of Nobel Prize Winners from India|
|List of Indian Navy Chief Admirals||List Of Indian Ambassadors to Foreign Countries||List of Members of Parliament|
CJI – Chief Justice Of India – Sample Question for General Awareness
To better understand the importance of CJI – Chief Justice of India topic for General Awareness section of competitive exams, it is necessary to know the type of questions asked in the examination. Hence, given below are a few Sample Question on the Chief Justice Of India or CJI of Supreme Court for reference.
Q.1. Who was the first Women Judge of Supreme Court of India?
- Ranjana Desai
- Fatima Beevi
- Sujata Manohar
- Gyan Sudha Mishra
Q.2. The Chief Justice of India holds the office of Supreme Court of India till ___?
- Till he attains the age of 65 years
- Till he attains the age of 62 years
- Till he attains the age of 65 years or 5 years of Tenure whichever is earlier
- Till he attains the age of 62 years or 3 years of Tenure whichever is earlier.
Q.3. The judge of Supreme Court of India i.e. (CJI) submits his resignation to____?
- The President of India
- Law Minister of India
- Senior Judge of the Supreme Court
Q.4. The ____ article of the Indian Constitution is related to the establishment and constitution of the Supreme Court of India.
- Article 90
- Article 168
- Article 68 & 69
- Article 124
Q.5. Justice H J Kania was the first Chief Justice from the Indian soil, who was the first-ever Chief Justice of India who served office before Independence?
- C.D Deshmukh
- Sir Maurice Gwyer
- G.V. Mavlankar
- Sir Robert W Pattrick
The questions on Chief Justice of India are for your reference to understand the type and variety asked in the exams. Candidates are advised to go through previous years paper for understanding the scope of questions even better.
Aspirants of various government exams can refer the important links related to other sections of the exam given below:
|Quantitative Aptitude – Topics||Logical Reasoning – Topics|
|Verbal Ability- Topics||Daily News Analysis|
Aspirants of UPSC exam and other competitive exams can check the links below for further assistance:
|IAS Exam||UPSC Books|
|UPSC 2022||UPSC Notes|
|UPSC Syllabus||UPSC Calendar 2022|
|Bank Exams||UPSC CAPF Exam|
|SSC Exams||RRB Exams|